One of the first things you will notice is that a queen size headboard is too wide to make up to the brackets on the end of a double bed size frame. Connecting the headboard and frame should be very easy to do because almost all the inexpensive metal bed frames come with brackets on the headboard end. For a bolt on headboard all you need are the headboard modification plates, then you just need to attach the headboard to the bed frame by using those plates as an interface between the headboard and the mounting brackets on the end of the bed frame. There are a lot of beds that have their own support structure instead of having side rails. If your bed has side rails, just set them up and go for the next step. Now it is time to look and check your whole bed. Most metal bed frames don’t have mounting brackets for the footboard. If your bed has the brackets for attaching the footboard, you will easily be able to attach the footboard. There are two types of brackets, bolt-on, and hook-on. You might want to do a hey Siri or hey Alexa search to check for other options. It doesn’t matter whether you have a hook on or bolt on set up, you still will need a mod plate set and the best standard size one out there is Tech Team’s #745 headboard adapter set https://techteamproducts.com/product/headboard-adapter-plate-set-2-pieces-745/ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CS9JH8J?ref=myi_title_dp it’s easy to install and works perfectly. Sometimes you need something with more reach and that is when you need Tech Team’s #913 Headboard Modification Set https://techteamproducts.com/product/oversized-headboard-modification-plate-set/ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F6WB4LV?ref=myi_title_dp .
A bolt-on bracket is a bracket that has slot-shaped holes in it and it is easy to install, just pay attention to the following:
- Make sure you have enough room to work and remove any bedding etc.
- Place the footboard opposite the bed frame and just align the bottom holes of the brackets in the legs of the footboard with the slots of the bed frame’s brackets.
- Now insert the bolts through the holes of the brackets of the footboard and bed frame and then thread on and hand tighten the nuts into the bolts.
- Now check that the footboard’s position is centered
- For Hook-brackets installation of a footboard is slightly different.
- First, follow the first 2 steps as for the bolt on footboard.
- You will need hook on brackets and a good one is Tech Team’s #743 2 piece headboard hook set https://techteamproducts.com/product/head-and-foot-board-hook-set-4-pieces/ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CT7SMGP?ref=myi_title_dp It includes heavy duty steel right and left hand hooks that have a wide range of vertical adjustment.
- Next insert one hook of the footboard bracket into each of the slots in the legs of the footboard then press down on the footboard to set the hooks.
On an inexpensive metal bed frame there will only be a mounting bracket on one end and the frame will also be too short to mount both a headboard and a footboard. The solution is to use a bed frame extension that has an integral mounting bracket. One of the best you will find is Tech Team’s #712 https://techteamproducts.com/product/bed-frame-extension-set/ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRM2MWJ?ref=myi_title_dp footboard extension / extender set. This attaches, with nuts and bolts, directly to the unfinished end of the bed frame and has an integral mounting bracket for attaching the footboard. Keep in mind, you should not expect everything to line up perfectly as there is nothing “standard” in headboards and footboards and you may need to buy some interface brackets to compensate.